12023: Swan Canning Water Quality Improvement Plan
This project aims to improve water quality in the Swan and Canning rivers through a series of priority nutrient reduction activities, consistent with the strategies of the Fertiliser Partnership and based on recommendations in the Swan Canning Water Quality Improvement Plan.
Ellen Brook, Bayswater Brook and Southern River are the highest priority sub-catchments as they contribute the largest nutrient loads to the Swan Canning. They will be targeted with:
- revegetation and maintenance of foreshore areas
- improvements to and evaluation of urban stormwater drainage systems
- trials of soil amendments
Other activities aimed at improving fertiliser management and efficiency will be delivered across all sub-catchments of the Swan Canning river system. These include:
- promoting sustainable garden practices
- property planning workshops
- Fertiliser Wise training for urban land managers
- fortnightly water quality monitoring of all sub-catchment outlets (31 in total)
Guidelines for the establishment and maintenance of turf will also be reviewed with industry partners.
|Investment:||$ 1 500 000|
|Delivery organisation:||Swan River Trust|
|Project duration:||October 2012 - June 2015|
|Location:||Swan Canning Catchment|