12032: Implementing critical recovery actions to mitigate major threats for conservation of the critically endangered Western ground parrot
The long-term objective of this project is to prevent the extinction of the critically endangered western ground parrot.
This will be achieved by:
- minimising the threat of predation by feral cats and foxes
- re-stocking previously occupied habitat from an existing captive breeding program.
Activities of this project include:
- identifying the movement, preferred habitat and habitat use of feral cats on the south coast using GPS tracking collars
- baiting with toxic feral cat baits (Eradicat®) at Cape Arid National Park, Fitzgerald River National Park and Two Peoples Bay
- surveying potential release areas for Western Ground Parrots in Cape Arid, Two Peoples Bay and Fitzgerald River National Park.
|Investment:||$ 600 000|
|Delivery organisation:||Department of Parks and Wildlife|
|Project duration:||September 2012 - June 2015|
|Location:||Cape Arid National Park; Fitzgerald River National Park; Manypeaks and Two Peoples Bay Nature reserves|
- Department of Parks and Wildlife (home page)