13011: Nursery in a box – growing and development program
Studies show that using the natural world as a basis for learning is a powerful way to engage students, change behaviours and attitudes, and improve academic outcomes.
This project will engage students in the natural environment by providing their class with a 'Nursery in a Box'. The mini shadehouse-like nursery contains all that is required for students to grow native plant seedlings from seed.
Once seedlings are grown, students can:
- plant them on school grounds
- take them home to plant in the backyard
- gift them to a loved one
- plant them in a community garden.
The project aims to engage 125 classes across the state and has the potential to impact on the lives of more than 3500 children and their communities.
Classes will receive:
- a 'Nursery in a Box' package (pictured)
- guidance, support and access to teaching resources
- refill packs to replenish consumable supplies over a two year period
- accesst to an online forum for sharing.
|Investment:||$ 20 000|
|Delivery organisation:||Active Greening Inc|
|Project duration:||November 2013 - December 2015|
|Location:||Schools throughout Western Australia|